Tompkins conducted a market evaluation for a private equity firm that was looking to invest in new technology. Since the client moved forward with the investment, nearly two-thirds of supply chain leaders now utilize this new technology.
The client is a leading global private equity firm who focuses exclusively on investments in technology and technology-enabled services businesses. The client evaluated the benefits/risks associated with an investment in a Tier 1 provider of global trade and transportation management solutions.
To perform a market diligence on the Transportation Management System – Global Trade Management (TMS-GTM) market for the shipper, freight forwarder, and logistics service provider industries. The external analysis aided the decision to proceed with the investment.
Tompkins International's Role
- Provided a technical and commercial assessment of the target’s product offerings.
- Determined customer requirements by industry in each of the product areas and drivers of purchasing decisions.
- Defined market size, segmentation, growth, and key growth drivers in the TMS-GTM markets.
- Identified 2-3 competitors within each product area and analyzed competitive positioning and market shares.
- Determined key strategic opportunities and threats to the client’s business.
- Developed SWOT analysis and provided revenue projections by product areas based on positioning and market outlook for products.
- Research determined that the client has a strong market share in North America with potential to grow with Software as a Service (SaaS) TMS, plus an opportunity to expand to Europe and Asia.
- Increased focus on customer service to maintain North American market share.
- Client invested in the technology firm, with a substantial tuck-in application for a robust TMS software company. It has increased offers of cloud-based software to the market and nearly 70% of Gartner’s Supply Chain Top 25 now use the client’s software.