In light of a recent acqusition, this global pharmaceutical company needed support for a retrofit and start-up of its new facility.
A global pharmaceutical company with corporate origins in Japan that focuses on innovation to create new medicines, as well as new methods of drug discovery and delivery. The company works to establish a portfolio of first-in-class drugs, vaccines, and over-the-counter products that deliver value to patients and healthcare providers.
The company acquired a facility in the U.S. and was initiating building modifications, along with the retrofit and purchase of equipment. The lack of internal project management capabilities quickly put the project behind schedule, putting the division’s overall budget and sales plans at risk.
Tompkins International's Role
Provided expertise to assess capabilities of the packaging line equipment that would meet the company’s requirements and provide overall project management expertise to support the facility retrofit and start-up.
- Success was achieved by quickly resolving poor coordination between key functional work streams: plant operations, IT, supply chain management, quality assurance and validation, and human resources.
- Tompkins created and staffed a project management office that was responsible for:
- Providing a single point of coordination, communication, and decision-making
- Coordinating all work plan activities across functional teams; assisting with contract negotiations
- Ensuring cross functional issues were resolved and key decisions made in a timely manner
- Providing status reports and managing escalation of issues to the steering/management committee