Logistics Service Provider Strategic Market Planning
A Canadian LSP interested in expanding into the US and new industries needed an impartial list of merger and acquisition target companies, while remaining anonymous.
Client is a major Canadian Logistics Service Provider (LSP) with a mandate from their corporate parent to grow the business through both organic means and M&A activity.
- Interested in expanding into the United States and into industries not currently within their portfolio.
- Required a list of viable target companies for M&A overtures.
- Needed to remain anonymous in the early approaches to potential targets
- Wanted an impartial initial. investigation of possible companies to pursue.
- Developed a master list of North American LSPs.
- Determined size and market focus of each company on the list.
- Identified companies that met the client’s specific target criteria.
- Developed a standardized investigation guide to be used in a high-level interview approach to the targets.
- Approached each target to validate its place on the target list and to establish its interest in further talks.
- Pared the list down to final candidates for direct discussions and recommended top prospects.
- Client is a market leader in its geography and verticals and is in the process of expanding into both of these areas.
- Armed with a comprehensive repository of names and information upon which to base M&A decisions, the client can confidently look to expand in the United States and into verticals not yet explored on either side of the border.
- The synergies gained in taking Canadian expertise to new markets south of the border and bringing acquired, complementary strengths northwards will resonate well in the marketplace.
- The client’s growth plans are solidly in place and ready to execute.